Sunday, June 25, 2017

Summer of Basics: Harriet


I have finished my first item from my Summer of Basics plans!  Right off the top, I have to say that I am delighted with how it turned out.  I do realize that Harriet looks nothing like my originally planned item, Clio, and I'll chalk that one up to the best laid plans of mice and (wo)men.  I did cast on Clio and soon realized that this lovely sweater needed the bounce and stretch of wool and not the cotton/linen blend I was using.  So, I put it away for another day.  After a deep dive into my knitting patterns binder,  I realized that I had nothing to hand that would match the idea in my head, so I went with a self-drafted design.

Harriet is a bottom up, in the round top with lots of texture.  The yarn I used, Cascade Hampton, is a delight to knit with and the French Blue colour coordinates so well with my existing handmade wardrobe.  The fabric is light and breathable and drapes beautifully and, paired with my favourite McCalls 2735 cropped linen pants, it brings to reality a favourite outfit of mine from the early 2000s.

As you know, I bought the yarn from my LYS, Handknit Yarn Studio, who are hosting a summer KAL. It's really easy to join as all you need to do is knit a garment in a summer weight yarn that uses at least 600 yards.  For Harriet, I used 3 skeins of Cascade Hampton, clocking in at 819 yards!



I wanted a lot of texture in this knit with minimal lace, as I wanted to be able to wear it on its own without having to worry about a 'modesty' layer.  I borrowed bits and pieces from favourite patterns and I'm quite pleased with the end result.  Starting from the bottom, the 'ribbing' is a scalloped ribbed stitched from the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Edgings book, followed by one repeat of the lace pattern in Sarah Vaughn's Jumper.  The body is knit in sugar cube stitch from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Knit and Purl book.  All stitches were converted to knit in the round.  The Sugar Cube stitch is especially relaxing as it is an 8 row repeat and becomes intuitive quickly.


The cowl neck is knit by using the instructions from Francis, Revisited; although, I made my cowl less deep than the pattern states as this is meant to be a lightweight piece.  I can see myself using this as a layering piece in the cooler weather.  Versatility - the workhorse of my handmade wardrobe!

Are you participating in the Summer of Basics Make Along?  What are you making?  I'm nosy and I love to see what other people have on their needles and cutting tables!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...