Monday, March 19, 2012

The Franken Pattern Pledge



Sometimes I feel the only way for me to stay on task is to make a pledge.  Today, it's about focusing on what I have.  Goodness knows I have no shortage of fabric and my pattern collection is nothing to sneeze at; however, I am worried that if I don't bring my creative energies into line, I'll never sew half the patterns I own!  Our recent trip to the bookstore yielded these treats for me (As a local library devotee, I only buy books using gift cards):



Simple Modern Sewing is a book I have been thinking about buying since before Christmas last year.  I'm lacking pretty and comfortable lounge clothing in my handmade closet and this book definitely will fill that gap.  The eight patterns enclosed can be combined to make up 25 different garments; great value for my money, I say!   I do love the blouse pictured on the front cover and would love to sew up some deliciously soft cotton or linen lounge pants to match.


During our shopping trip, Mr. Friday unearthed several partially used gift cards and I was able to pick up this book.  Again, it has been on my list to buy for a while.  I am especially happy with the diversity of projects and clear instructions.


When I returned home and added these to my collection, I realized another pledge was hatching.  As I said above, pledges seem to keep my creative energy focused, which means I am more productive and, therefore, much happier with the results of said productivity.


So, what is the Franken Pattern Pledge?  It's a straightforward attempt to actually use the patterns I love, rather than leaving them languishing in my collection.  It involves using my favourite patterns, either alone or in combination with another, to make the projects I have earmarked for this year. 

When I find a pattern that I love, I tend to make several versions of it and feel more confident playing around with it to get different looks.  In all honesty, I feel very lucky to have access to extensive sewing supplies and I should definitely make use of them.   As you can see from the list above, Colette Patterns and Simplicity feature heavily in my list.  This is due to the fact that both brands tend to fit me out of the envelope with only occasional adjustments needed.  To quote an old cliche: 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'


Therefore, I pledge to use the above patterns listed to create the items on my project list for 2012.  I will not purchase any new patterns until I have used each pattern at least once on its own and at least once in combination with another. 

(Oh, boy, this will be hard!  Colette Patterns and Simplicity are bound to release new designs that make me practically salivate.  Guess I better get a move on!)

JOIN ME!
As always, I find I stay motivated if I'm not in the lifeboat all alone and would love it if you joined me on yet another mad adventure.  Please feel free to copy the code below and add the badge to your blog or website.  I'd would love to follow your creative endeavours!







13 comments:

Stacy @ Stacyverb said...

I have vague plans to do some Franken-Patterning as well. I have my eye on a couple of tops in my pattern stash, but am not crazy about the sleeve options, so I might try to combine those tops with the sleeves from another pattern instead. If I do, I'll definitely post about it! :)

Heather Lou said...

This exactly why I spent 3 hours matching pattern to fabric this weekend... Although I still plan on getting a few new patterns this summer. I'm naughty. It's really difficult not to be a hoarder with this hobby so I think any effort to fight that instinct should be commended.

Ps. I totally made a version of that teepee on that book cover for my nephew. He FREAKED. Best gift ever.

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

Such a good idea! I tend to buy patterns, even when I don't have the time to sew them up, and they end up sitting around. If I don't start using them I'm going to be a hoarder!

Symon said...

I have Simple Modern Sewing as well, and it was the cover blouse that drew me in too! I too have that on my list to sew for spring - looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :)

Love your chosen collection of patterns, they're all so lovely :)

Ali said...

This is a great pledge! I embarked on something similar with my "Pattern Project"--drafting and adapting patterns. But it's wonderful to realize what abundance we already have at our fingertips and I think we only get better both sewing and fitting garments when we learn how to adapt patterns to get what we want. Hooray for you! Even that Macaron sleeve has been gold for you :)

Mommy en France said...

Frankenpatterns have been on my mind lately too. I've been plotting trying to create a perfect summer dress pattern, based partly on a Peony top, partly on a McCall's pencil skirt or perhaps on the Truffle skirt. I'm in, I think, and will grab the button. Thanks for organising yet another fun pledge/challenge.

Carol said...

I think I need to do this. I have boxes of patterns I buy and put away, never to see the light of day. The same with fabric. Every once in a while I find things I don't even remember buying. It's time to use the patterns and the fabric and I think a few Franken patterns may just be the answer!

Urban Rustic said...

My own austerity drive for 2012 was supposed to be about using what I already have and ,to be quite fair to myself,I have done quite well.I have recently WEAKENED CONSIDERABLY and bought several patterns ...these are from the 1940's and they are intended to be for the sew cinematic challenge (who is invovled with that one ??)well that was my excuse to myself.
This will therefore be a good excuse to renew my own pledge and make the ost of what I already have.
I have the Simple Modern Sewing book and already have some of the patterns traced out.

Becky said...

Fun idea! It really is hard not to hoard patterns, isn't it? Though I'm trying to get better at that, sometimes it seems that I just don't have anything good on hand (especially with my constant fabric stashbusting goal). Since that's more my focus, I'm not sure I'll actually participate in this challenge, especially since I already have patterns and fabrics paired off for a good 10 more projects that I need to get through first. But I will certainly be following this one with interest. (And reading this did give me a possible frankenpattern idea involving the Beignet skirt...but I have to sew the one I already have planned first to see if the pattern even works for me!)

kristenmakes said...

I love this idea! It's encouraging me to get more into tweaking the dress patterns I currently and have already made...

ckh said...

I got Simple Modern Sewing for Christmas and I'm half-way through making the cover blouse right now. I was hoping to wear it today but that would require putting the computer down, wouldn't it?

I love this pledge. I've sort of made it in my head already. I've acquired a lot of patterns, purchased the fabric to make them and then I stall out before I finish or before I start. I've decided to stop acquiring until I make some of (all???) of these projects.

ckh said...

After my last comment, I've finished that top finally. I jiggered around with the ties, and may do them differently next time, but I'm done! On to the next project...

redpointtailor said...

Very good idea! I tend to buy patterns as they are always interesting, nice, etc. and then I don't have the time to sew them up, and they end up sitting around. I was planning to do the same. New collection of Vogue patterns helped a little as they are not so interesting. Summerising - I am in!